Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Weekend and Monday...I forgot to take any pictures today ok?

This is what I did for fun on Sunday ---I made tortilla espanola!  I had it for lunch two days in a row now and I regret NOTHING.  I might use up the rest of my potatoes in a similar fashion...

Because bookbinding decided it didn't seem old-timey enough, it decided to make it necessary to burn candles and hold your tools over the flames so that they get all sooty and then you use them and the lines and shapes and things are all black and um sooty. It, it is a real thing.  There is a boox in the cabinet of binding supplies labelled 'Candles and Matches' and that is no joke.

Here is my dang calf book. The dark lines?  Darkened by candle.  So yeah it is all Cambridge panel-y and soot darkened and I guess I don't hate it for reals anymore...but it was veeeeery close to being tossed on top of a pile of multiple burning candles.  Which I guess wouldn't really burn that well.  But um yes anyway.

Here is calf book in the finishing press so I could do lines on his spine.

This is my friend Gabby!  She probably wouldn't have let me take her picture if she had known it would end up on my blog.  Sorry Gabby!  Gabby and I share a room and also have similar feelings about the annoying-ness of most finishing practices.  Over the weekend we took a little road trip to Montrose to go to the movies and it was delightful.  Gabby is going to proper bookbinding school in Boston in the fall.  She does THE COOLEST design bindings.  I'mna have to take a picture of her MONSTER BOOK to show you guys; it is SERIOUSLY AWESOME.

Here're some book titles I did on the Kwikprint, which is a stupidly spelled machine that makes printing reeaaaalllly better than you ever thought it could be.

Here are calf book and Pelham, all happy in their done-ness.  Actually they weren't done; I did some more decorative nonesense to calf's spine this morning, and I guess  I will do that to Pelham tomorrow.  I turned out pretty terrible on calfy calf but then I guess the whole point of that calf book is for me to horrendously screw up on it.  Poor lil guy.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Looks super!! And you get the award for being the only recent blogger in the Anderson family! Dad will undoubtedly say that makes you his favorite!!

Becca said...

Pelham looks great! I love the gold lines.